Friday 16 May 2014

Topaz puppies: 1 week old!

Topaz's babies turned one week old yesterday. They are growing by leaps and bounds - all are now well over 300g, so have gained about 50% of their birth weight in the first week. Their eyes and ears are still closed, so they are still relying on smell and touch to find mama.




As the big pups are still in the puppy corner (for one more sleep!) the whelping box is still in my bedroom, where they occasionally wake me at night with their squeaking when they have lost their way and can't find mama or get tangled up in the blankets that line the box. Then I get out of bed, fish them out of their tangle and put them close to mama.


Tomorrow the last but one of the big pups are going to their new homes, so then we will move the whelping box into the puppy cornern and I will no longer have my sleep disturbed (I hope). Though occasionally in the past, when the babes are in distress and mama can't help them, she whines or yaps enough to wake me and then I have to head over to rescue the little ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment